Selling your home, especially in today’s tumultuous market, is a big decision with many choices to make. But using a Realtor in the sale of your home should be an easy one.
Consider this statistic from the National Association of Realtors: For-Sale-By-Owner (FSBO) properties made up about 7% of home sales in 2021 – the lowest since 1981. FSBO listings sold at a median of $260,000 in 2021, almost $60,000 lower than agent-assisted homes.
“Whether you’re going to the dentist, fixing a dishwasher, or selling a home – it’s always better to hire a professional,” said Chris Hulser, President of the Huntsville Area Association of Realtors.
“The fact is, sellers leave money on the table when they stick a sign in their yard and try to sell their house on their own. Thankfully, FSBO properties represent about 7% of all sales – which is the lowest share of the market since 1981.”
Realtors are professionals who are trained in all aspects of the often-convoluted home-selling process, including research, pricing, staging, listing, advertising, negotiating and drafting paperwork; all tasks you as the homeowner will need to take on if going the FSBO route. Assuming the role of Realtor® and navigating all the intricacies of selling your house – one sellers often have an emotional attachment to – is a full-time job.
Here are seven more reasons from the National Association of Realtors to work with a Realtor to sell your house and/or purchase a new home:
- A Realtor acts as an expert guide while working through the many forms, reports, disclosures and other legal and financial documents. They will know how to navigate the local market, helping you avoid delays and costly mistakes, as well as be able to speak the real estate language and understand complicated industry terms.
- A knowledgeable Realtor will offer objective information and opinions while guiding you through your home search with an unbiased eye, as well as helping you stay within budget. They also serve as a terrific resource for answers to questions about local utilities, zoning rules, contractors and more.
- Realtors will give you expanded search power when you want access to a full range of opportunities through a cooperative system called the multiple listing service. Your Realtor can help you evaluate all active listings that meet your criteria, alert you to listings soon to come on the market, and provide data on recent sales.
- An experienced Realtor will stand in your corner during negotiations. From price repairs to possession date, there are many factors to discuss during real estate transactions. A Realtor who is representing you will look at the transaction from your perspective and do their best to negotiate a purchase agreement that best fits your needs.
- They ensure an up-to-date experience for clients who usually only undergo buying and/or selling a home a few times in their lifetime. Realtors provide the latest in ever-changing laws and regulations since they handle hundreds or thousands of real estate transactions each year.
- Realtors tend to act as your rock during emotional moments. For most buyers, a home is the most important purchase you’ll ever make.
- Realtors provide fair and ethical treatment. Every member of the National Association of Realtors must adhere to the Realtor Code of Ethics, which is based on professionalism, serving the interests of clients and protecting the public.
The Alabama Association of REALTORS shall be the cornerstone organization in Alabama for real estate advocacy and integrity so that the buying and selling of property will be a secure, successful, and personal interaction for all. We uphold the highest standards of professionalism in the industry because we believe that buying and selling property isn’t just a transaction; it’s a personal milestone attained through working with someone who is a true expert at the buying and selling process. We’ve got your best interests at heart, and that’s a Realtor difference you can count on.