HUNTSVILLE — If you thought Winter Park and the ice skating rink at the Orion Amphitheater were just a holiday thing, you are missing the best part of the winter season!
In fact, ice skating and Winter Park have been so popular, the Orion at Apollo Park is extending the festivity to Feb. 20.
Winter Park guests can skate under the stars; rent private igloos around the firepits; enjoy food and cocktails; and continue to shop local vendors while taking in the festive events, treats, crafts and entertainment.
There is no charge for parking or entering the Orion’s immersive winter-themed experience. But, the additional activities, food and beverages are available for purchase.
Pay-for activities include ice skating: $14.99 adults, $12.99 kids 12 or under. There is a $5 discount for bringing your own skates and group discounts for 10 or more people.
Private igloos rent for $250 for 4 people; up to eight people are allowed in the igloos at $35 per additional person.
Winter Park will continue to feature music throughout the amphitheater and Apollo South, including deejays spinning for ice skaters and local group performances.
Fridays are $5 Skate Nights with music from 7:30-10:30 p.m. DJ Ya Boi Boi hosts 2000s Night tonight. Jan. 27 is ’80s night with deejay Donye West.
There are still several special Winter Park events left on the schedule:
- Jan. 25 – Irish Coffee Day. Get $1 off hot drinks including coffee and Irish coffee
- Jan. 28 – Global Community Engagement Day & Coat Drive. Skate free for each new or gently used coat donation.
- Jan. 31 – Hot Chocolate Day. Get $1 off hot drinks including spiked and non-alcoholic hot chocolate.
Every Saturday through Feb. 20 is School Spirit Saturdays with teachers invited to skate free with a valid badge. Students can skate for $10 if dressed in school colors or gear.
Huntsville City Schools Spirit is Jan. 28 and Madison County Schools Spirit is Feb. 4.
The Orion is hosting community organizations to the rink as well.
- Jan. 24 – Cummings Research Park Night with CRP employees skating free with badge or work ID.
- Feb. 7 – First Responders Night with medical, fire, and law enforcement skating free with badge or work ID.