Huntsville police arrest suspect in nightclub multiple shooting

HUNTSVILLE — The suspect in a multiple shooting May 5 turned himself in to Huntsville police Thursday.

According to a news release from the Huntsville Police Department, Jatahj Malik Malcom, 25, was charged in connection with the May 5 shooting at 708 Bar and Grille. He was wanted on five first-degree assault warrants related to the incident, police said.

Police said the shooting happened around 11:30 p.m. at the business at 708 Poplar Ave. More than a dozen HPD units responded following reports of gunfire.

When they arrived, officers found five victims. They were transported to the hospital and have since been released.

Police said initial attempts to gather information from witnesses were unsuccessful. However, in the subsequent investigation, it was discovered an altercation had taken place between Malcom and one of the victims.

Malcom reportedly pulled a handgun and fired multiple rounds, striking the initial victim and four other patrons inside the club.

Following the incident, investigators reviewed surveillance footage and spoke to additional witnesses who later provided information.

The investigation remains ongoing, and HPD said further details will not be released at this time.

Recent in Crime

A coordinated law enforcement operation across eight counties in north Alabama led to the execution of 12 search warrants and the seizure of more than 1,500 products containing kratom as […]

The Madison Police Department is asking the public for help as investigators continue looking into the death of a 54-year-old man whose body was discovered earlier this month. Police said […]