82.2 F
83.8 F
Muscle Shoals
78.7 F
79.1 F
Fort Payne

‘No Burn’ order lifted across state; some counties under ‘fuel advisory’

MONTGOMERY — When it rains, it pours. And, apparently the recent rains have helped provide enough moisture to help lessen the state’s dry conditions.

“Effective immediately, all burn restrictions have been lifted across the state of Alabama,” the Alabama Forestry Commission said. “Burn permits will be issued as normal.” The lessened restrictions include 11 counties that had been under a “No Burn” order since it was issued Nov. 9 by Gov. Kay Ivey.

However, these 11 counties – Blount, Calhoun, Cherokee, Clay, Cleburne, Etowah, Jefferson, Randolph, Shelby, St. Clair, and Talladega – will remain under a “fuel advisory,” meaning extra safety precautions are required during burning because of the abnormally dry conditions.

“Although we still have not received enough rain to eliminate drought conditions in all areas of the state, we are beginning to see a wetter pattern,” said State Forester Rick Oates. “With higher humidities and good recovery occurring at night from dew fall, surface fuels have moved out of critical fire danger thresholds and the chance of significant wildfire potential has decreased across the state.”

Oates, though, said the drought is not over.

“Even with a return to wetter weather, drought conditions persist. Fires can still escape, especially during gusty conditions or periods of low relative humidity (30 percent or less),” he said. “These fires are prone to containment problems and can burn for days in the organic layer of the soil. If you are located in one of those 11 northeastern counties or a drought-declared area, you must exercise extreme caution when conducting any type of outdoor burning.”

Oates offered these tips for outside burning.

  • Rake or plow around the pile you plan to burn.
  • Water the soil to full saturation to prevent the fire from escaping the firebreak.
  • Never leave any fire unattended; remain with your fire until it is completely out.
  • Ensure that you have the necessary equipment and personnel to control the fire. For smaller debris burns, have a garden hose or other water supply on hand.

Any agricultural or silvicultural fire more than a quarter-acre in size requires a permit from the AFC, he said. Burn permits may be obtained by calling 800-392-5679. Burning without a permit is a Class B misdemeanor, punishable by up to six months in jail and/or up to a $3,000 fine.

Don’t miss out!  Subscribe to our email newsletter to have all our smart stories delivered to your inbox.

- Advertisment -

Most Popular