HUNTSVILLE — The Huntsville City Council will take up Mayor Tommy Battle’s proposed $312,814,218 budget at a work session tonight. Battle introduced the balanced Fiscal Year 2024 budget at last week’s regular council meeting.
The work session is 5 p.m. and will be broadcast live on HSV TV. The budget is up for final approval at the council’s regular meeting Sept. 28. The 2024 Fiscal Year starts Oct. 1.
“As Huntsville continues its growth and expansion, so do the demands from our community on City services,” Battle said. “The FY 24 budget meets this demand by incorporating ideas and innovative solutions to new challenges from City departments as they serve our citizens each day.”
Battle said expanded garbage collection and public transit services, along with new and upgraded roads to retain favorable commute times are the focus of the spending plan.
“We’re proposing more investment in more road improvement projects and street resurfacing,” he said. “As we look into the future, our budget accommodates the Northern Bypass, Eastern Bypass and Big Cove Road, among others. Such investments and the continued commitment to street resurfacing will help maintain the reasonable travel times our community enjoys.”
Among the proposed capital projects are expansions of the Ice Sports Center and Big Spring Park; Ditto Landing, PARC greenway, and the Mill Creek Choice Neighborhood Initiative.
- Increased fire & rescue personnel
- New ladder truck at Fire Station 17 in Hampton Cove
- Increased police personnel
- Increased public transit personnel to implement Phase I of its new service plan (new routes and Sunday service)
- Additional sanitation routes and increased personnel
- New Parks and Recreation positions for Therapeutic Recreation Leaders to provide specialized programming for people with differing abilities
- 2.5% cost-of-living adjustment for city employees
- Parking garages to support tourism economy at The Orion Amphitheater and Apollo Park, downtown to support the Von Braun Center, and at John Hunt Park
- Ice Sports Center expansion
- Big Spring Park expansion
- Ditto Landing improvements
- PARC greenway
- Mill Creek Choice Neighborhood Initiative