US 72/Florence Boulevard to revert to nighttime lane closures for widening project

U.S. 72/Florence Boulevard is undergoing a $24 million project to construct additional lanes. (ALDOT photo)

FLORENCE — The U.S. 72/Florence Boulevard widening project will revert to nighttime hours for most operations requiring lane closures, the Alabama Department of Transportation announced.

Though working by daylight is more conducive to the current work — asphalt leveling to match the profiles of the existing and additional lanes — daytime lane closures last week led to excessive travel delays, ALDOT said in a news release.

Starting tonight, ALDOT said motorists should expect single-lane closures from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m., Sunday nights through Thursday nights. Daytime lane closures may still be implemented ocassionally, if needed.

Visit ALGOtraffic.com or download the ALGO Traffic app for real-time traffic and road condition information.

ALDOT said the $24 million project to construct additional lanes should be completed next summer.

Recent in Traffic

A new transportation safety study for the City of Athens is shining a spotlight on one of the city’s most problematic intersections while opening the door for residents to weigh […]

’Twas the night before Christmas, and all through the city, Traffic engineers were busy frosting gingerbread and sculpting fondant so pretty. With candy and icing and plans on display, They […]